Monday 21 December 2015

Neo-Noir OTS: Narrative Codes

Narrative Codes and Conventions



After being introduced to a few of the many different narrative structures and the people who invented them (below is a SlideShare which I found this information on, from Ms Humpleby's blog):



Media narrative codes update 2015 from Elaine Humpleby



I have decided to use the Enigma Code, as I want to make the audience think and work out what exactly is going on. As well as this, I want the length of most shots to be fairly slow-paced and the music to compliment that, going down a thriller, science-fiction neo-noir route, so I feel that projecting a mystery to the audience will work alongside the features I want in the OTS as well.

The other narrative code I've decided to try and use is Allan Cameron's Modular Narrative theory, in particular, the forking path, as the idea I have for my film would work with this quite well. I will create another post about the narrative, and what I want to try and achieve.

It helped to choose which narrative codes I did not want to use, and the one I definetley didn't want to use was Levi Strauss' Binary Oppositions. The reason I didn't want to use this was because I don't feel that a character can be purely Hero or Villain, Good or Bad, Light or Dark, as I personally don't think that represents a person truly. I feel I would use this to try and project a message, maybe in a satirical way, and this narrative code can be used well, but in the context of my OTS, I didn't feel it was the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment