Thursday 18 February 2016

Film Noir Conventions and Representation

As I'm creating a neo-noir OTS and not completely traditional film noir, I thought I should talk about the features and conventions from classic noir films that I have decided to use, and what I have adapted.


Smoking


At the beginning of the OTS, the main character is seen smoking for a short while. As smoking is a big feature in classic film noirs (see below for examples), I wanted to include this as it does give off an element of mystery, as smoke can hide/distort things from view. As well as this, I wanted the protagonist in pyjamas to seem very calm and quiet throughout the opening title sequence, I felt that her smoking at the beginning, but without a cigarette in her hand, immediately gave off a cool presence, as well as something odd about the fact she's smoking without a cigarette.





Shadow


Shadows are also something I tried to incorporate a little. The most prominent shadow in my OTS is in one shot (below).










One of the protagonists is looking at her hands, however, the shadow of her hands come up to her neck, almost making it look like she is being strangled by it. I wanted to use this as it could foreshadow what would happen later on in the film, if I created it. 



Narrative


In terms of a conventional narrative, I wanted to use flashbacks in the OTS, but project them differently to how they are in traditional film noirs. Usually, flashbacks in film noir create the entire bulk of the piece, told usually from the 'every-man's' perspective, reflecting on what has happened, and how it brought him to his current situation. In my OTS, I use very quick flashbacks, one of which does suggest the protagonist is thinking about what has happened. However, the main bulk of the film, if I did make it, would be in the character's present day, not necessarily ours, but it would not be all about the character's memories.

I have now decided to cut the small flashback shot as I felt it didn't fit with the OTS once I'd made some other changes.

Adding onto this, instead of having a voiceover, I have a small amount of speaking from an unknown source at the beginning of the OTS, when the radio is turned off. This is part of one of the pieces of music I use, and is a different take on the traditional narration/voiceover in film noir, as usually the main character narrates the events that happened and this audience is aware of whose voice it is.


Characters


In terms of character, I wanted to make sure the female characters were not seen as someone who was always 'made-up' and looking as if they were 'ready' to be on camera. I'm completely for wearing whatever you want, but I think in film, when people, more predominantly with women, have a full face of make-up and a beautiful outfit, when the situation they're in doesn't call for it, and isn't used to project some sort of message, is a pedestal I wanted to avoid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment