Thursday 25 February 2016

Pulp

After showing my film to a few people, I received comments that my OTS had an 80s/90s feel to it, which is what I was going for. I was also told that my film fit quite well into the 'pulp' genre. I had a vague understanding of what it was, but not much. Therefore, I did some research on pulp films and realised that I was inspired by this genre without completely realising it, and traditional elements of pulp films were evident in my  OTS. 

I noted that the setting is often 'seedy,' 'trashy,' as well as the plot involving a lot of crime and characters lacking a balanced moral compass. I feel I was subconsciously influenced by Pulp Fiction in terms of the character, as even though it's not shown at all in my OTS, the main characters would be partners with a male character, working together. However, as I also wanted to have a science fiction element in my film, I wanted there to be two different versions of the same character (but from parallel universes), somehow meeting in the same universe, and the same house, which would become more apparent as the film went on. 



At first, I was slightly worried about the graininess/quality on my OTS, but actually wanted to keep this in as whenever I watch films that have low quality I feel that, it makes the film look intimate in a way, but creating a barrier because it looks old or unreachable, which is something that I would like my film to do, as well as the story being quite far removed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment