Sunday 7 February 2016

Neo-Noir OTS: Music

Music is a very important part of my OTS, and as with any film, can create a completely different atmosphere and tone compared to watching the same scene without it.

Creating my own music was one option, but honestly, I wasn't sure if I'd have the time, and I'm not particular skilled, so I may have not found and created the exact piece of music I wanted. It may have also not been very good quality and I would not have the correct equipment at hand to be able to record the piece, which would have been frustrating. Instead, I decided to find some music online, which was copyright free. I found a great website, called Free Music Archive, which has a vast selection of great recordings, which are free to purchase, but not royalty free, they come with licences. The two pieces of music I decided to use  which comply with what I want to do, so I do not have to change the direction I wanted to go in with my film.

I decided to use two pieces of music by 'The Fucked Up Beat,' who creates trip-hop music. I decided to use two pieces of music by them, one being 'hope!' and the other 'paranoiaXXVI'. I edited them both together, using the spoken beginning of 'hope!' with most of 'paranoiaXXVI'. I then edited snippets of the beginning of 'hope!' into the end of the track, to add a distorted, almost nostalgic feeling into the music, as if the audience had heard it before, but it had been changed slightly. This mirrors the opening titles, and basis for the story.

I wanted the music for my OTS to be very prominent and be in sync with the titles and clips of the opening title sequence. This is because I feel it is satisfying in a way for the audience and also to push me a little in terms of editing, as this is my first time editing a film, and see if I could achieve what I wanted.

Unfortunately I cannot include the audio file in this blog post, as Blogger does not support it, however, I have created a Prezi which does allow me to use the audio file and within the presentation I talk about the details of the licences and how they co-inside with my OTS. The music is fairly dark, and could be a little distracting so if you would like to mute the track while reading the presentation, there is a mute button in the bottom left hand corner.





No comments:

Post a Comment