Thursday 21 January 2016

Neo Noir OTS: Editing

As this is the first time I will be editing anything, film-wise, I wanted to make sure I had most things filmed before the Christmas holidays had come to an end, as I will spend a lot of time figuring out the different features of the editing software (which is Final Cut Pro in this instance), and I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want my titles to look as well as what's available on Final Cut.

Almost as soon as I had finished filming, I had made the decision to cut out the entire second part of the OTS, which entailed similar shots of a different version of the character from the first part, carrying out the same actions, for example, brushing teeth, making tea etc. only with different lighting and the way the tasks were completed would be slightly different, including costume and make-up. I decided to cut this part down as the shots seemed quite messy, as we did not have much time to film this half. I may cut a few clips down and add them in as snippets to contrast with the first part, creating a comparison, adding to the enigma, and also giving the audience a bit more information in terms of character and plot, but still leaving them wondering what's going on. 


During editing, I have decided to make most if not all of the shots  and cuts co-inside with the music, as I think makes it interesting for the audience to watch, as well as the fact that this is my first time editing a film, so I would like to push myself a little bit.



I have actually decided to place the last shot of the original OTS (above) at the very beginning, instead of at the end, to making it seem as if the character is running off just as the 'radio' is explaining what type of story this is, and just before the titles start rolling.

I also wanted the first shot to be strong and poignant and to make sure the audience knew what the central character looks likes from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment