Saturday 23 January 2016

Costume

For the protagonist that is revealed first in the OTS, I wanted her to be dressed in pyjamas, with her hands covered in blood.

I decided to have this character dressed in pyjamas because it's very understated and contrasts with the blood on her hands. As pyjamas are usually seen as comfortable and un-threatening, but with the amount of blood on the character's hands, it could give the audience a feeling that this character is dangerous and deceitful. However, another reason I wanted the character to wear pyjamas and have fake blood on her hands is because, if I did create the entire film, I wanted to have fleshed-out three dimensional characters, that accurately represented traits of real people, and that there is not just one side to somebody. The juxtaposition of pyjamas and blood, I personally wanted to represent that someone can be quiet and laid back (hence, the pyjamas) as well as be powerful and un-predictable (hence, the blood). 
I also applied this to the other central character, who sports a tight black dress, red lipstick, and a cardigan. This costume was chosen to challenge the convention of how female characters were portrayed in 1940s/50s noir films. I wanted this character (who, if I hypothetically created the film would be the character with 'better' morals), would be sexual and confident, and would not seem dangerous or scary, much like how female characters would be, quite blatantly, used for in traditional film noir, to warn audiences that female sexuality was dangerous and traditional gender roles should be put back in place, which is something I definitely wanted to steer clear of. The reason why this character is wearing a cardigan in the OTS is because, a lot of the time, female characters are heavily made up and dressed in traditionally 'sexy' clothing, just to appeal to a certain audience, so I wanted to have the dress and cardigan together showing that she's dressing for herself and can wear both types of clothing, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment